My First Night After Spay Surgery

The first night of my spay surgery was a little rocky.   Mom said I was just like a human in that nighttime is always the worst if your are not feeling well.   I just couldn’t get comfortable.  I was in pain, but it was not yet time for my next dose of pain meds.  Mom tried her best to ease my pain by massaging me to relax my muscles.  She read that  massage can release those “feel-good” endorphins, increase circulation of the blood, elevate the levels of oxygen and even accelerate the healing process. Whatever.  All I know is that it worked.

Relaxing With My Chew Stix

Mom wasn’t too sure how I would do alone in my kennel and she certainly didn’t want to put me in the dreaded cone while in the kennel, so we had a slumber party of sorts in the greatroom.  It would have been super fun if I hadn’t felt so bad.  I slept a short time on my bed but decided I wanted and needed my mom when my pain began, so she put me on the sofa with her.  Let me tell you, that was one tight fit even though she removed the back cushions for us.  I tossed and turned like a bucking bronco, according to mom. I slept on thirty-minute intervals; each time waking up in pain, flipping and flopping and panting.  I insisted that I have my head laying on my mom at all times and pawed and rooted around to get her attention.  She also gave me some popsicles during the night and that seemed to help with my panting.   I slept the longest from 4:30 a.m. to about 6:00 p.m. after mom was able to give me another dose of my pain meds. Even though mom and I had a restless night, my fur sister, Smoki, slept like a baby in the master bedroom.  Can you believe that?  She didn’t even check in on me during the night.

Heading To Breakfast

Needless to say, mom look a little worse for wear this morning.  She was so tired that she gave up her Fourth of July plans to stay home with me and to get some sleep. I think  I spied mom sipping on a cup of coffee (decaf) at 4:00 a.m. Now that is early for your first cup of morning coffee.  I gobbled my breakfast which consisted of more chicken and rice mixed in with my puppy chow.  It was delish. After breakfast I played a little with my toys, even taking my rope toy to mom to play tug-of-war with me.  But, I have napped on and off for most of the day, as I tire easily.  I hope I can rest better tonight, that is, if the fireworks don’t get too loud.  So, for now, woof and love, Baylie xoxox

  • Hey Baylie, I hope you feel better soon xxx

  • Thank you Misaki!

  • your Mom is so devoted to you Baylie, you are truly a blessed doggy!!!! You have a fabulous Mom! As for Smoki…that’s how cats roll……..they are all about getting the bed to themselves no matter how it happens! lol Barks and licks and feel better hugs, Dakota

  • Thank you Dakota and Mom! Yes, I’m so blessed that my mom was in her office the day the nice man who found me brought me in. It was love at first sight and meant to be. I’m so glad he didn’t take me to the ~~~~shiver~~~~shelter instead. Love to you!! xoxox Baylie

  • JJ

    Poor Baylie. Rest up and feel better soon!

  • Thank you JJ!