If you live in the Southeast where we have had relentless rain throughout the entire Fourth of July holiday, most likely, you have a prolific crop of these growing on your lawn. I have never given them much thought, that is, until Baylie Dog joined the family. Even though she will eat most anything she can fit into her mouth, she hasn’t shown much interest in the fungi. Nevertheless, when I see any sprout, and they can do so in a matter of hours, I quickly pull them up just in case her taste for mushrooms may have changed.
Mushroom poisoning (also known as mycetism) refers to harmful effects from ingestion of toxic substances present in a mushroom. These symptoms can vary from slight gastrointestinal discomfort to death. The toxins present are secondary metabolites produced in specific biochemical pathways in the fungal cells.